The OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) is the development finance institution established by the Member States of OPEC in 1976 as a channel of aid to the developing countries. OFID works in cooperation with developing country partners and the international donor community to stimulate economic growth and alleviate poverty in all disadvantaged regions of the world. It does this by providing financing to build essential infrastructure, strengthen social services delivery and promote productivity, competitiveness and trade. OFID’s work is people-centered, focusing on projects that meet basic needs – such as food, energy, clean water and sanitation, healthcare and education – with the aim of encouraging self-reliance and inspiring hope for the future.
We are pleased to announce that OFID is now accepting applications for its 2017/2018 Scholarship. Please review the application guidelines below thoroughly before applying.
- STEP 1: Ensure that you fulfill the OFID Scholarship Award Eligibility Criteria.
- STEP 2: Register within the OFID Scholarship Portal by using your email address. Please note you can log onto the portal as many times as required before finally submitting the application.
- STEP 3: Fill out the application form. Make sure to save data each time you update your application. Once you are logged in, if the page remains inactive for more than two hours, your session will time-out and you may lose unsaved data. Do not submit your application until you have completed the entire application process!
- STEP 4: Upload necessary documents: CV, two recommendation letters, Bachelor’s certificate/transcript, acceptance letter into postgraduate program, passport copy and essay.
- STEP 5: When your application is complete, and all additional documents are uploaded, your application is ready to be submitted. Once your application is submitted, you can no longer make any changes or upload any more documents.The application deadline is May 1, 2017. Please do not call or email OFID to see if your application has been received or to inquire about your status. You will receive an automated confirmation once your application has been submitted. Only the winners will be notified by June 6, 2017 and announced on our website
- Must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Must have obtained or be on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree with a Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September 2017, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Master’s Degree.
- Must be a national of a developing country—please refer to the list of eligible countries. Please note that nationals of OFID Member Countries (Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela) are ineligible to apply.
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
PLEASE NOTE: Kindly read ALL of the directions below before proceeding with the application process:
- Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications will be evaluated based on the information provided. Therefore, all questions should be answered as thoroughly as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Once an application has been submitted, no more changes may be made to it.
- OFID will not consider applications received through a third party.
- Please do not call or email OFID to ask if your application has been received, or to inquire about your status.
- Please note that only the winners will be notified.
- All materials submitted become the property of OFID and will not be returned to the applicant.
- Applicants must complete the on-line application.
- Within the on-line application, applicants must upload the required documents as listed below in Section III. All materials including the on-line application, recommendations, and other required information must be received no later than May 1, 2017.
- Applicants may also find it useful to also review the scholarship FAQs.
Disbursement of the Scholarship Fund
- The terms and conditions of payment will be determined in coordination with the student upon his/her selection in accordance with the following guidelines:
- The tuition fees, including any supplementary examination fees, as may be required by the academic institution, will be paid by OFID directly to the academic institution. Health insurance will be paid in accordance with the institution’s own standard medical scheme.
- A monthly allowance to cover living expenses, books and accommodation, will be transferred to the student’s own personal bank account.
- Prior to the start of his/her first year studies, the student will be paid a relocation grant. OFID will also pay for travel costs from the nearest airport to the student’s place of residence, to the nearest airport to the chosen place of study. Upon completion of the studies, the student will be paid the cost of one-way air ticket to his/her home country.
- A completed on-line application form.
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s passport.
- A scanned copy of the last university degree or certificate.
- A scanned letter of acceptance from chosen educational institution, confirming your admission, subject of study and duration of the Master’s degree program (must not exceed one year).
- A proof of meeting any prerequisites, including language proficiency.
- A short essay – of about 500 words in English – giving reasons for applying for the OFID scholarship, explaining your educational goals, and clearly describing how you will use the experience gained from your Master’s degree studies to help in the development of your home country.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors and/or lecturers at applicant’s present university (or present employer).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
OFID awards its scholarships to qualified applicants who have obtained or are on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree and who wish to study for a Master’s degree.
Applicants must be from a developing country (except OFID Member Countries), and he/she must first obtain admission to pursue a Master’s degree studies in a relevant field of development, from any recognized university/college in the world.
Through its scholarship scheme, OFID aims to help highly motivated, highly driven individuals overcome one of the biggest challenges to their careers – the cost of graduate studies.
Beware of scams implying association with OFID!
There are various fraudulent schemes whose authors purport to be OFID personnel or agents, or otherwise associated with OFID.
Please be aware that OFID does not:
- conduct lotteries or offer prizes;
- extend any type of loans or grants directly to individuals;
- charge any fees for: job, grant or scholarship applications; attending seminars and conferences; or before a legal agreement is concluded between OFID and a beneficiary of its financial assistance;
- have offices outside of its headquarters in Vienna, Austria;
- request for personal, business or confidential information as a precondition for any financial assistance it provides.
Read OFID’s anti-fraud disclaimer in full.