FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Northern Nigeria Crisis Response-Reproductive Health Manager.
- Job Title: Assistant Technical Officer, Environment Health
- Location: Rann, Borno State, Nigeria
- Job Type: Renewable Contract
- Job Category: NGO, Health
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
- The Assistant Technical Officer, Environmental Health Officer will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the Environmental Health Officer will monitor and train Community Volunteers on their hygiene promotion to IDPs.
- Other responsibilities will also include training volunteers and community/camp leaders on safe waste management practices, and providing support on activities related to environmental health at the health clinic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide day to day operational and programmatic support to all WASH & Health activities.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Build capacity of Community Volunteers (CHWs) through waste management trainings and hygiene promotion.
- Oversee activities related to hygiene and environmental health promotion at field site and additionally, at the health facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to waste management and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BA/BS in field related to WASH with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply
- All applications must be filled and submitted online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further correspondence