The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- Job Title: Logistics Associate (Commodity Accounting) G6
- Job Location: Abuja Jobs
- Job Type: Renewable Contract Jobs
- Job Category: NGO Jobs
- These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RB) and Country Offices (CO and Area/Field Offices. Job holders report to a Logistics Officer, Head of Unit or the designate.
- At this level, job holders demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders typically manage a small team, supervising and coaching staff.
Background And Job Purpose
- To provide specialized support functions and/or supervise staff performing standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
- Maintain data quality in the corporate system (LESS) and implement well-define standard logistics/Supply Chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all deliveries modalities. Technical support, partnering with the key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries. Contribute effectively to the SPR reports
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Provide specialized support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and contribute, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Coordinate requisitioning and ensure timely delivery of commodities and supplies to authorised partners and destinations.
- Maintain regular data quality and integrity, processes and procedures implementation in the Country through correspondence and direct missions under the supervision of the Commodity Accounting Manager. Take corrective actions on systematic irregularities on data prior to their dispatch to EDPs;
- Identify, resolve and/or provide recommendations on specialised queries/requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of enquiries with excellent client service mind-set.
- Monitor inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary
- Support oversight for commodity accounting data quality and integrity.
- Analyse operational pipeline and contribute to assessments and operational planning for all delivery modalities, to ensure that supply chain requirements are taken into consideration.
- Perform research, collect data and conduct analysis, produce reports (e.g. CCTI, SPRs, financial closure, physical inventory, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems to enable informed decision-making.
- Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines for all assistance modalities.
- Support logistics emergency preparedness and response activities including Logistics Capacity Assessment and Contingency Plan update, to support WFP’s response in emergencies.
- Report status of deliveries and losses to the Commodity Accounting Manager on regular basis;
- Ensure data captured in the LESS system is accurate and liabilities and assets are accounted for at any given point in time;
- Ensure that LESS transactions are performed according to the standard business processes and corporate guidelines;
- Build in-house capacity for normal and emergency operational requirements;
- Maintain internal CO business continuity through management of staff absences and adequate coverage;
- Ensure best use of new tools, material and guidance and provide prompt feedback to the CO of any issues faced.
- Ensure Physical Inventories are carried out in all EDPs on a monthly and quarterly basis at each storage location and support to reconcile and capture in the system before the closure deadline;
- Ensure full compliance of CO operations to IPSAS
- In close liaison with CO Programme/Reporting Units, make sure Commodity Accounting standard reports including the SPRs are finalized and cleared by CO within deadlines and all expenditures and stock movements are captured in timely manner;
- Reconcile commodity part of SPRs and Financial Statements;
- Ensure that Commodity Accounting Reports submissions to the CO are accurate
- Ensure that Audit observations and recommendations are implemented;
- Implement best practices and advise CO management on any anomalies;
- Perform any other business as required
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary qualification in Logistics /Commodity management is a must.
- Work experience: 5 years minimum in Logistics management/managerial positions in logistics related activities
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role
- Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
- Experience analysing data (on commodities, funds, etc.) and drafting reports
- Experience in measuring service providers’ performance against set KPIs
- Experience in providing technical business support in corporate systems
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply
- All applications must be filled and submitted online and submitted online
- Deadline of applications is the 22nd of January 2018
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further correspondence