The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- Job Title: Logistics Officer (Contracting) – NOA
- Job Location: Abia State Jobs
- Job Type: Renewable Contract Jobs
- Job Category: NGO Jobs
- Under the direct supervision of the Head of Contracting Section reporting to the Head Supply of Chain, Job holders will primarily be responsible for overall Logistics Contracting Activities for WFP Nigeria Operation.
- At this level, job holder will need to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
- Job holder is expected to be proactive and work independently.
- You may be assigned other tasks depending on the exigencies of WFP activities.
- To collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of the logistics operations and activities.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Manage all country-wide Logistics Contracting activities from planning and inception to full execution. Activities include but are not limited to undertaking Logistics needs assessment; gathering market intelligence; mapping out contracting strategy; contracting for services in line with WFP rules and regulations; monitoring of contract validity and service provider performance; preparation of internal/external documentation and reporting, etc.
- Undertake regular vendor (e.g. transporters, retailers) assessments & management to maintain a shortlist of qualified service providers.
- Ensure principles of Fairness, Transparency, Accountability, Confidentiality and Ethics are maintained throughout the contracting and contract execution process.
- Contribute towards the development of logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards.
- Support logistics projects or operational day-to-day activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Collect and analyze data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to the supervisor to improve performance of local logistics operations.
- Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to the supervisor to optimize use of available funds.
- Guide support staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (i.e. through contribution to the training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with staff and external stakeholders within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Other duties as required.
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
- Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization:
- Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
Planning, Project & Resource Management:
- Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.â€‹
- Information Management & Reporting Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
- Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
- Warehouse and Inventory Management Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
- Technical Assistance and Coordination Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
Other Specific Job Requirements
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts.
- Experience in compiling contract documentation.
- Experience in contract execution.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply
- All applications must be filled and submitted online and submitted online
- Deadline of applications is the 22nd of January 2018
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further correspondence