The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- Job Title: Logistics Officer (Operations), NOB
- Job Location: Lagos State Jobs
- Job Type: Renewable Contract Jobs
- Job Category: NGO Jobs
- Under the direct supervision of the Lagos Port Captain reporting to the Supply Chain Officer, Job holders will primarily be responsible for overall Logistics Operation at Lagos Port.
- At this level, job holder will need to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance.
- There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holder typically manages a small team, supervising and coaching staff.
- You may be assigned other tasks depending on the exigencies of WFP activities.
- To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of shipping plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics operations, policies and WFP standards.
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of policy guidelines and operational directives and procedures in respect of ocean transport activity.
- Plan and manage shipping operations following standard processes and contribute, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Consolidate and plan shipments, manage operational aspects of chartered and/or liner vessels, cargoes, including checking document readiness, loading and discharging operations and contracting of stevedoring services as applicable.
- Supervise performance of WFP’s shipping and forwarding agents, stevedores and other ancillary contractors to ensure efficient operations, and provide input in the annual performance review.
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other services, divisions and country offices, particularly for emergency response.
- Identify, regularly monitor and manage contractual, operational and supply chain risks relevant to shipping activities.
- Collect and analyze data through market analysis, research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to the supervisor to improve performance of local logistics operations.
- Collate data and prepare accurate and timely reports, including key performance indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP wise view of shipping activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Build productive partnerships with port authorities and customs and other institutions to support efficient and effective shipping operations.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiency of the teams.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Contribute to consolidation and planning of shipments, and to the management of operational
- Other duties as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Six or more years of progressively responsible support work experience in operations, logistics work, including at least three years related to Supply Chain at any national/international humanitarian or commercial organization carrying Logistics, Procurement or Contracts management function or related field.
- Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Supply Chain Management and Optimization:
- Analyses context of country challenges in order to lead the design and management of supply chain network, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges, to ensure operational optimization.
Planning, Project & Resource Management:
- Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting:
- Ability to proactively identify gaps in information and findings, analyse and evaluate information, develop statistics, and translate into information management products to facilitate decision making and demonstrate performance.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution:
- Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
Warehouse and Inventory Management:
- Plans, coordinates and manages service providers and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient, and sustainable operating procedures in the face of changing climates and conditions within region of expertise.
Technical Assistance and Coordination:
- Actively establishes and maintains networks, leads coordination and the provision of technical assistance, while demonstrating the ability to represent WFP to a broad spectrum of key stakeholders (e.g. providing services, and working with NDMOs/NDMAs).
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts.
- Experience in compiling contract documentation
- Experience in contract execution.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply
- All applications must be filled and submitted online and submitted online
- Deadline of applications is the 22nd of January 2018
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further correspondence
- Total Jobs: 0 Jobs
- Location Federal Capital Territory - Abuja