The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- Job Title: Logistics Officer (Quality Assurance) NOB
- Job Location: Abuja Jobs
- Job Type: Renewable Contract Jobs
- Job Category: NGO Jobs
- This job is likely to be found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs). In the field, job holders report to the Head of Field Office or Head of Logistics or the designate. In RBs and HQ, job holders report to a more senior Logistics Officer.
- Job holders operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that logistics operations and project objectives are achieved in full.
- Job holders are heavily involved in day–to-day activities and analytical work, and are likely to focus on one specific area of logistics (i.e. budget preparation and management, commodity and warehouse management, supply chain, fleet and workshop management, port operation management, logistics cluster and information management) or manage teams within logistics operations to ensure supply chain strategies are implemented.
- To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
Key Accountabilities(not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the Food Technology Officer in Abuja- Nigeria CO and in close collaboration with colleagues at Supply Chain unit, the Quality Assurance Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide support to monitor the implementation of Quality management systems i.e. Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) through the WFP’s Supply Chain;
- Participate in the technical review of services provided by external contractors include inspection companies and food laboratories;
- Liaise with WFP appointed inspection and superintendent companies to ensure implementing of best practices of the quality control; sampling, inspection, testing, verification, etc.
- To conduct regular visits to the supplier’s factories/ warehouses to ensure compliance with WFP’s requirements for Food Safety and Quality Management Systems
- Establish and maintain collaboration with local laboratories in order to build their capacities to carry out test methods for analysis of humanitarian food aid commodities
- Assisting in planning and implementing the capacity strengthen activities in food quality and safety aspects to WFP’s partners; the Inspection companies, governmental authorities and private sectors.
- Assisting on developing training modules on food quality control, loss prevention and mitigation, fumigation etc. and provide training to WFP staff, other stakeholders and food processors
- Provide advice on food quality and safety issues during food transit and storage in WFP’s warehouses
- Assess the fumigation practices at WFP’s warehouses and recommend improvements when applicable
- Provide advice on food quality assurance and management issues to prevent losses and improve commodity management capacity and propose adequate measures to mitigate food losses
- Prepare technical reports related to food quality and food safety and provide regular updates to the food technology Officer
- Prepare, update and circulate reports on food quality and safety incidents through the Supply chain and propose the corrective and preventive actions.
- Support the developing and implementing of capacity strengthen projects on the field of food quality and safety and related topics.
- Supporting the implementing of protocols and tools related to food technology issues, such as food safety and quality and food product optimisation, ensuring alignment with WFP procurement and supply chain strategy, policies and plans.
- Other activities as required
4Ps Core Oragnisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Supply Chain Management and Optimization:
- Analyses context of country challenges in order to lead the design and management of supply chain network, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges, to ensure operational optimization.
Planning, Project & Resource Management:
- Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting:
- Ability to proactively identify gaps in information and findings, analyse and evaluate information, develop statistics, and translate into information management products to facilitate decision making and demonstrate performance.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution:
- Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
Warehouse and Inventory Management:
- Plans, coordinates and manages service providers and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient, and sustainable operating procedures in the face of changing climates and conditions within region of expertise.
Technical Assistance and Coordination:
- Actively establishes and maintains networks, leads coordination and the provision of technical assistance, while demonstrating the ability to represent WFP to a broad spectrum of key stakeholders (e.g. providing services, and working with NDMOs/NDMAs).
- Education: Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Food Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, Food science or relevant degree.
- Minimum five years of experience in food quality management, preferably in high-scale food processing enterprises in Nigeria or national food quality institutes.
- Well-versed in auditing of manufacturing/ processing facilities. Preferably experience of working with inspection services providers and/ or multinational companies.
- Good knowledge of food quality and safety systems i.e. Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), traceability and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), etc.
- Knowledge of food safety and quality management systems (e.g. ISO, BRC, IFS, etc.)
- Experience on best practices of nutritious and fortified food production;
- Adequate knowledge in laboratory testing facilities and associated appropriate standards
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Critical Success Factor:
- Good analytical skills, ability to analyze highly complex issues or problems, maturity of judgement
- Ability to work under stress and achieve results under tight deadlines
- Resourcefulness, initiative, negotiating skills
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
Terms and Condition
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Method of Application
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply
- All applications must be filled and submitted online and submitted online
- Deadline of applications is the 22nd of January 2018
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further correspondence
- Total Jobs: 0 Jobs
- Location Federal Capital Territory - Abuja