About Family Health International (FHI 360)
Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
- Liaise with the STO-Lab and the laboratory team at Country Office and the clusters to provide technical support and implement high-quality laboratory services within the states for FHI Nigeria programs including adherence to relevant professional standards and guidelines, and involvement with laboratory clinical governance issues and audits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and maintain oversight of the day-to-day operations of all laboratory services at the state level.
- Give technical support on the implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of laboratory services for HIV/AIDS, opportunistic (OI) and malaria care and treatment in collaboration with technical staff within FHI at state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Coordinate the setting up of the ART laboratory service at the state level.
- Supervise laboratory quality assurance issues within the states.
- Coordinate the inventory management and stock-taking system at the facilities.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and apply these lessons to modify existing program and improve the design of new programs.
- Represent FHI Nigeria on issues of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS at the states.
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and related development field by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research for department activities as outlined by the technical supervisor.
- Provide assistance in analysis of monitoring/audit results in order to identify service gaps, develop quality management plan and initiate, prioritize and deploy operational improvement measure with the laboratory team.
- Work closely with M&E and other lab staff to ensure that laboratory quality-related data e.g. proficiency testing and retesting are adequately captured in the DHIS, LMIS and LAMIS on time.
- Ensure that the test, controls and inspections are carried out and that personnel has access to all required quality-related documents.
- Systematically ensure that records of nonconformity of events reports at the states are kept and resolve non-conformities arising within the laboratory to completion.
- Monitor QA and QC activities of the Laboratory at the states in order to determine conformance with established policies, national regulations, or accreditation requirements.
- Coordinate the distribution of PT samples to respective facilities and timely collection and submission of results to PT providers
- Work closely with the lab facility staff to ensure that universal safety precautions are properly followed and biological waste from the labs and blood banks is properly disposed of.
- Provide technical assistance in capacity building for laboratory services to FHI and facility staff.
- Provide technical support on blood safety and laboratory quality assurance issues within FHI at state and local agencies in Nigeria.
- Coordinate the inventory management to ensure adequate stock and quality data capture in the DHIS.
- Monitor test kits utilization and utilization of other reagents in the FHI supported sites at the state level.
- Contribute to the development of lessons learned from programs and projects related to laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and apply these lessons and modify existing programs.
- Remain informed on current programs in the field of laboratory management of HIV/AIDS and related development fields by reviewing current literature and staying alert to any implication of such experience and research for department activities as outlined by the technical supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 5-7 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Or Master’s Degree in Laboratory Sciences or related field with 3-5 years post national youth service experience and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the provision of laboratory support for HIV/AIDS.
- Proven ability and track record of implementation of Quality Assurance and Quality Control in a laboratory setting is a must.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to HIV/AIDS care and treatment is required with some experience in an international development organization preferred.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Expertise in hematology, TB and blood safety issues will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Laboratory management and training experience and ability to understand the full range of issues around the laboratory management of HIV/AIDS, including the provision of counseling and testing services.
- Excellent working knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques for the identification and culturing of different TB species, and drug resistance tuberculosis (MDR-TB) and management issues related to mycobacterium Drug resistance Tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
- Thorough knowledge of QA, QC and proficiency testing concepts; ability to apply these concepts to resolve complex conditions in the laboratory and administrative settings.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays: HIV rapid and confirmatory testing, hematology, biochemistry, CD4/CD8, HIV viral load, HIV DNA qualitative test, HIV viral resistance (genotype and phenotype) and management issues related to the clinical management of HIV/AIDS, including ART.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
How to Apply
To apply for the above position, please click on the link below. Please ensure to apply according to the instruction provided in the box below. Any other form of application outside what is stated will not be entertained.
Interested and qualified candidates should Click here to apply online