About The UNU-INWEH Internship Programme
Are you a recent graduate or enrolled in a graduate program? Are you interested in making a difference in environmental research and policy? Do you have a commitment towards addressing
issues of international importance related to water, environment and health? If so, then the UNU-INWEH Internship Programme could be for you!
Our interns have come from Canada, France, India, Mali, Mexico, Pakistan, the United Kingdom, the USA, and elsewhere. UNU-INWEH provides interns a chance to work in an international environment and experience first-hand the operations of the United Nations. In this volunteer program, interns interact with staff members and contribute towards UN water research and training projects conducted in developing countries. If you think that the UNU-INWEH Internship Programme could be your next step, please find out if you meet the eligibility requirements (below) and submit an application.
Method of Sourcing Interns
Interns are recruited through a competitive application process through:
- specific vacancy announcements (listed on the vacancies page) or
- unsolicited applications (open).
- Academic Qualifications & Fields of Interest: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in an area relevant to UNU-INWEH’s field of work.
- Languages: excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
- Computer skills: ability to use office-related software (Microsoft Office) and hardware (PC).
- Attitude: awareness and ability to adapt to a multicultural environment and a commitment to international public service are essential. Applicants should demonstrate good communication skills and show initiative and flexibility.
- Availability: the duration of an internship is a minimum of three months (full-time).
- Insurance: proof of insurance coverage for the entire period of the internship.
- The selection will take into consideration academic achievements and research accomplishments, two letters of recommendation, and your statement of purpose. Further documents may be requested only if shortlisted.
Terms and Conditions
- There is no fixed start date for internships. Internship start-dates are defined on the basis of the respective programme/project requirements.
- The duration of the internship will be at least 3 months with a maximum duration of 6 months.
- Interns are expected to work full time and will be provided office space and facilities as appropriate for their work.
- UNU-INWEH does not offer any financial assistance for the internship and all candidates are required to indicate means of support for the duration of the internship.
- Interns will be awarded a certificate at the successful completion of their internship.
How to Apply
- Ensure you satisfy the Eligibility Criteria.
- Fill out all five of the required application documents.
- Email or fax your application to the UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator.
- Only complete applications (i.e., containing all five required documents) will be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Your internship application will be considered valid for 12 months from the submission date.
- If applicants do not receive a response within 12 months of submission, the application has not been retained.
- A Completed Application Form: Download (MS Word) or (PDF)
- A Cover Letter that Includes:
- A brief statement of purpose.
- Why you think an internship would be a valuable opportunity.
- Any specific skills/experience that relate to one of our programs/projects.
Note: The above cover letter should be written in English (1 page max.), and should be addressed to the UNU-INWEH Internship Coordinator.
- A Copy of Your University Transcript: Undergraduate or Graduate transcript. Unofficial is acceptable.
- Two Letters of Recommendation by your two referees:
- It must be signed, and the scanned copies sent by your two referees directly to: email@example.com
- Subject Line of the reference letter must be: “REFERENCE LETTER = INTERNSHIP = Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”
- Signed letters can also also be sent by fax to +1 905 667 5510
- Cover Page Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Candidate’s Last Name and First Name”
- For Non-Native English Speakers, a Copy of Your English Language Certification
(E.g., TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC); not required if the applicant has completed undergraduate and/or graduate studies with English as the medium of instruction.
How to send your application package
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- (Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)
- By Fax: +1 905 667 5510
- (Cover Page Subject Line: “INTERNSHIP APPLICATION, Your Last Name, Your First Name”)
You can CLICK HERE to visit awarding website for more information.